I am not a gear-person, and own have 3 lenses, 50mm, 85mm, and 24-105mm. The 50mm/1.8 is really my first prime(?) lens, is is the cheapest lens Canon nowadays, it was really great considering its price. While I am rarely using the 50mm after bought the 85mm, I sold it.
I wanted to buy a new one and struggle to buy the true prime 50mm/1.2 or 70-200mm. As the title is shown, I got the 70-200mm/4L finally. My 85mm/1.2 is already the top of the line in prime lenses, a tele-zoom lens seems a new world for me.
For 2 weeks of usage, here are some thoughts of it. I tried different situration: Night, Daytime, Animal, and people, and the lens always excessed my expectation. Image quality is really good. Sharpness and Colors are better than my old 24-105mm 4L, and behind of 85mm (it is really impossible to beat the 85mm1.2).
While the sharpness is directly related to the Image Stabilization function of the lens, the IS surprised me. I hand-shot night and zoom to 200mm and expected so kind of shaking-blur, but the result is edging sharp. Distortion control is also great, lines and shapes in the composition are straight and only require little correction in post process.
Finally, it is about portability. It was by far the biggest lens I own, yet it is lighter than I expected. My camera backpack has to rearrange to fit this big boy.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM, is really a great lens. I will recommend anybody to buy one if its focus range is what you needed. Very satisfied!
If you interested in the equipment I used, please check the links below:
- Shimoda Action X30 Backpack ----- https://amzn.to/2SJXdwC
- Peak Design Tripod ----- https://amzn.to/2IajlhD
- Peak Design Everyday Backpack Zip ----- https://amzn.to/33IEAQ1
- Canon 5D Mark IV ----- https://amzn.to/2SJXz6q
- DJI Mavic 2 Pro ----- https://amzn.to/33IKaC3
- GoPro Max ----- https://amzn.to/3nxqPvs
- Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod ----- https://amzn.to/2SECuKI
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L ----- https://amzn.to/3dfSFYl